The lettering is very detailed, I wasn't sure how this would work with soft-ground etching:
I did soft-ground first:
And then hard ground (swirls and ornaments):
And after that, I added tones using aquatint. I did two prints with different amount of ink on the plate:
I didn't know how this would come out and each print was a surprise. But this was all about just learning the techniques and I really enjoyed it! Here are the shots from the making of and the plate:
I found it very interesting, but didn't use any of these for the final version of the cover. Anyway, definitely want to play with etching again!